Whether they’re long-term supporters of your nonprofit or have just recently become involved, many of your donors will appreciate the opportunity to give to your cause online through your website. The convenience and ease of online giving make it an excellent way to motivate supporters and increase gifts to your organization!
As with any of your fundraising efforts, your nonprofit will need to develop ways to get supporters excited about online giving to make the most of this useful tool. Ideally, you’re looking for ways to encourage supporters to give not just once but repeatedly.
Whether you’re creating your nonprofit’s website or updating it to reflect your organization’s most recent work, you can build enthusiasm for online giving by creating a website your supporters will love to use and connecting it to your other online channels.
Let’s take a look at how you can:
- Design a nonprofit website your supporters will enjoy using.
- Use your website to keep your supporters updated on your work.
- Connect your online and in-person fundraising efforts.
- Provide supporters with opportunities to increase their impact.
- Stay connected to supporters through your website.
The foundation of a robust online giving ecosystem is your nonprofit’s website. Create or update yours to draw visitors in and encourage them to donate.
Your supporters will be more likely to give to your cause online when you design a website that they enjoy visiting. A beautiful site that’s easy to navigate is sure to draw in visitors and encourage them to support the good work that your organization does each day.
Don’t have a coding expert on your nonprofit’s team? That doesn’t mean you can’t create a clean, modern website that engages visitors and showcases your organization’s progress. Your nonprofit can simplify the web design process by choosing to build your site using a content management system (CMS) created with nonprofits in mind.
Selecting a nonprofit CMS is an excellent way to support your end users—site visitors who want to find the information they’re looking for quickly and easily—as well as your organization’s team. Created with organizations like yours in mind, nonprofit CMS platforms are:
- Non-technical. Your supporters will respond best to a site that’s easy to use and regularly updated. With a non-technical CMS designed for nonprofits, creating, improving, and maintaining your site doesn’t have to be difficult for any of your team members! Look for a platform that offers drag-and-drop editing so you can design your pages on the front-end of your website without needing any expertise in coding.
- Highly customizable. To encourage online giving, your organization will have to stand out from the crowd. Choose a nonprofit CMS that allows you to customize the layout of each of your pages and include add-on modules such as events pages and an online store.
- Mobile-responsive. Supporters who are inspired to give shouldn’t have to wait until they’re back home at their desktop computers. Your nonprofit CMS should allow you to create a site that looks and functions well on all devices your supporters may be using.
With a site that’s easy for your team to create and just as easy for your supporters to use, you should expect plenty of visitors. Motivate them to support your good work by using your site to keep them updated on your progress.
Supporters are inspired to give when your nonprofit’s work resonates with them. Keeping them updated on your progress shows the importance of their contributions and motivates them to continue giving. Encourage online giving with a regularly updated website that shows supporters the positive effects of their donations.
Your website presents a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate the transformational power of giving on your organization, your volunteers, and even your supporters. A nonprofit CMS makes it easy for your team to update your site with the latest content showing your nonprofit’s work in action.
To keep supporters updated and excited about giving, you’ll want to include and regularly refresh components of your website such as:
- Multimedia elements. Well-chosen photos and videos can tell your nonprofit’s story and showcase your progress most effectively. Your homepage is a great place to display recent photos that illustrate the beneficial impact of your organization’s work.
- Your navigation menu. A nonprofit CMS makes it easy to add pages and modules to your site as you create more material to share with your visitors. Update your navigation menu to direct visitors to these new components, and make sure that your online giving page is never more than a click away from any location on your site.
- Calendars. Supporters are more motivated to give to organizations that value their involvement in all forms. Create and update a calendar that shows site visitors the opportunities they have to attend your events, participate in in-person fundraisers, or volunteer for your organization.
When supporters are engaged in your organization’s work and progress, they’ll be more excited to contribute. Your website is one of the most important channels you can use to show your supporters just how essential they are to your mission. To gain inspiration from nonprofits like yours who are using their websites to engage supporters effectively, you can check out Morweb’s list of the best nonprofit websites.
Your website is a central component of your larger fundraising strategy. Your organization will benefit when you give supporters the opportunity to get involved online and in person.
Whether your supporters initially encountered your organization online or in person, they’ll appreciate the option to get involved in your work in multiple ways. Let your online donors know how they can support your organization in person and provide all donors with the opportunity to continue their support online.
Your nonprofit’s website and other fundraising technology work as standalone fundraising tools as well as useful additions to traditional strategies. Whether you’re hosting an event, selling products, or embarking on your next fundraising campaign, your website can make participation more convenient for supporters.
Want to use your website to boost participation at fundraising events and other in-person fundraising efforts? Be sure to make the most of nonprofit CMS features including:
- Event modules. Spreading the word about your event and getting supporters to register is easier with the help of your website. Registering guests through an on-site events module instead of an external linking page allows them to spend more time on your website, exploring your organization’s work and giving them another opportunity to give online.
- Online stores. Product fundraising is a great way to build your organization’s brand recognition and encourage donations to your latest project. You may want to sell branded merchandise and other products at your events, and you can offer them to more supporters by selling them through your website as well.
Your website can help your fundraising efforts reach more potential supporters, increase attendance at your events and provide convenient giving opportunities for those who may not be able to attend this time around. Ready to start planning your next fundraiser? Check out some options that incorporate both in-person and online elements here.
When supporters feel involved with your organization, whether by attending an event, giving, or volunteering, they’ll be more motivated to support you again in the future.
Supporters who feel particularly connected to your organization will value the opportunity to increase the amount they give. Encourage your online supporters to participate in their employers’ corporate matching gift programs to give more at no additional cost to themselves.
Matching gift programs are a form of corporate philanthropy in which companies agree to match eligible employees’ gifts to nonprofit organizations. This means that the original donor is able to give twice as much to the nonprofit they choose to support.
While matching gift programs are an easy way for organizations to raise more money, they often go underutilized. Employees are often unaware that their companies offer matching gift programs, or they aren’t sure of their employer’s policies regarding matching gifts.
Your organization can help your online donors give more by reminding them to participate in their matching gift programs. Incorporate matching gift software on your website that allows donors to search a database to determine whether their employer has an established matching gift program.
When supporters give through your website, they form a connection to your organization and will want to stay updated on your progress. Provide them with online opportunities to get all the latest news on your organization.
An effective nonprofit website is one that supporters know they can go to whenever they want to learn more about your organization or make their gifts. Provide supporters with multiple ways to stay connected online so that your nonprofit is never more than a few clicks away.
While we generally spend a significant amount of time online these days, we all have different ways of interacting with this medium. To help your organization engage the right person at the right time, your website should provide plenty of options for online and in-person involvement. These include:
- An email newsletter sign-up. Include a form on your website that allows visitors to sign up to receive news about your organization right in their email inbox. Reading about your latest progress and your next goals will motivate them to donate online.
- Social media links and live feeds. Stay connected to your site’s visitors with links and live feeds to your accounts on popular platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Supporters will be reminded about your organization each time they visit these sites.
- A form builder. Online supporters and other visitors to your website may want to contribute to your organization in additional ways, such as through volunteering. Using your nonprofit CMS, you can create a custom form that they can easily fill out.
Looking for guidance as you create a nonprofit website that will keep you connected to your supporters? Morweb’s guide to the top nonprofit website templates can help you explore the right design elements and layouts for your organization.
A well-designed nonprofit website does more than encourage supporters to donate. It motivates them to stay involved with your organization and find new ways to help you achieve your goals.
Online giving is popular for its convenience, and it’s an essential component of a strong fundraising strategy. You can inspire supporters to give online and find additional ways to interact with your organization by creating a website they’ll love to use.
This blog is an original work of the attributed author and is shared with permission via Foundant Technologies' website for informative purposes only as part of our educational content in the philanthropic sector. The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this text belong solely to the author and do not necessarily reflect Foundant's stance on this topic. If you have questions or comments, please reach out to our team.