An A+ proposal budget provides an honest, complete, and clear picture of the total value of everything it takes to do our work successfully. It also stands as an invaluable management and evaluation tool when it comes to running the grant-funded program.
So … how do we get there from here? That’s the question we explore in this down-to-earth, myth-busting session.
- You’ll understand the importance of taking a "total value” approach to budget-building, to clearly and compellingly show the value of everything it takes to do our work successfully.
- You’ll learn why the form the grantmaker gives you is (almost always) the wrong tool for planning your budget … and what you can use instead.
- You’ll have the chance to whip out your calculator and try your own hand at thinking through some of the “total-value” challenges in our real-life scenario - some are pretty tricky!
- You’ll get a behind-the-scenes view of how grantmakers evaluate your proposal budget – and what your budget tells them about your organization.
- And we’ll clear away the confusion around value of volunteer time, accounting for “match,” handling administrative/indirect costs, and other perennially perplexing budget issues.
Maryn Boess, Owner, GrantsMagic U
Over her 20+ year career in the nonprofit world, Maryn has been an on-staff program developer and grant writer; an independent grants consultant; a grants project manager; a grants trainer; a grants reviewer, author, speaker, mentor and coach; and – yes – for the past 9 years, even a grantmaker. Grants Magic U, launched in fall 2015, is the “virtual academy” she created to make her extensive portfolio of practical and inspiring trainings on successful grantsmanship available (and affordable!) for anyone, anytime, anywhere.